Team Leader: Mrs D Adams
Team Leader e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mathematics department is staffed by 8 full-time and 2 part-time mathematics teachers. We all teach the full range and ability of students from Year 9 – 11 and the majority teach A level as well.
The department offers the following courses:
- Level 1 & 2 Functional Skills
- GCSE: Maths, Additional Maths, Statistics
- BTEC: Money and Finance
- A Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics
- Certificate and Diploma in Financial Studies
Each year approximately 70-80 students choose to study Maths at A level and there are an increasing number of students taking Further Mathematics each year. Our recent team review (July 2011) stated that there was “Outstanding subject knowledge demonstrated by teachers across the whole team and that students demonstrate positive behaviour and are often highly engaged".
Each year, we offer a range of out of school activities to support and enrich the mathematics curriculum such as:
- Year 9 PGL trip (Maths and Adventure activity week) looking at the mathematics involved in the activities undertaken from zip wires to quad biking
- United Kingdom Maths challenges for all year groups, and team challenges too
- Maths and Drama workshop with visiting theatre company bringing maths to life
- Visits by university lecturers and to universities to discuss maths and its applications at university
- Sixth form trip to Open University Christmas Maths lecture
We celebrate National Pi Day (March 14th) every year and our sixth form Maths Leaders run the entire day with a variety of activities and events for the rest of the school.
Recent successes in the Mathematics department are:
- GCSE: 81% A* - C in 2011 and 100% pass rate
- A level: 92% A* - C in 2011 and 100% pass rate
- FM A level: 100% A* - C and 100% pass rate
- Several students each year go on to study maths (or maths related) degrees at university
We are a very strong and experienced Maths department with excellent facilities.