- Providing resources to support all areas of the curriculum in collaboration with subject departments
- Providing a quiet study area, particularly for sixth form students
- Promoting and supporting the development of information literacy and independent learning skills
- Providing access to a wide range of printed and online information resources
- Promoting reading for leisure and enjoyment
- Running a weekly quiz to improve students’ general knowledge
THE LIBRARY & RESOURCES CENTRE CONTAINS:
- 18,000 books (fiction & non-fiction)
- Online resources such as the Issues Online database and Newsbank (full-text newspaper database) and science, history, literature & language databases suitable for A-Level students.
- Non-book resources such as DVDs, information files & revision guides
- Daily newspapers, subject-based journals, leisure magazines and a news headlines board
- Seating for 84 students
- Networked Library catalogue accessible on all school computers
- 25 PCs connected to the school network to be used for Internet access, word processing, scanning and printing
- Photocopier for student use
- Themed displays, for example poetry resources for National Poetry Day, resources for Black History Month etc
For further information on Library resources and services, current students can to log onto My Big Campus and check out the 'Cedars Library & Resources Centre' course.
STAFF & CONTACT DETAILS
The Library is staffed by a qualified, chartered Librarian and twp Library Assistant.
- Mrs. Michelle Perrott BA, H. Dip. Ed., Dip. Lib., MA, MCILIP
- Mrs. Claire Thomas
- Mrs. Karen Duff
The Library is located in Block 1 of the school. You can contact the Library by calling in, telephoning us on 01525-219311 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Library offers a framework of learning skill sessions for all years, from basic information searching in Year 9 to research skills and note-taking in the Sixth Form. These skills are taught as an integral part of the curriculum:
All new Year 9 and Year 12 students participate in a Library induction to introduce them to the Library services and resources. For Year 9s, this is followed by a series of lessons on scanning and skimming of information, evaluation of information, Internet search techniques, plagiarism and an introduction to citing sources and creating a bibliography.
Year 12 students are also offered subject-specific Library inductions to introduce them to key resources in their chosen A level subjects, both printed and online. We hope to offer lunchtime research skills sessions for Sixth Form students in the near future.
The Library staff support and supervise Year 10 students who take the Higher Project Qualification, a free-standing research project which enables students to gain an extra GCSE. The Library also supports those Year 13 students who chose to participate in the Extended Project Qualification, assisting them with retrieving information, advice on citation and by arranging a visit to the nearby Open University Library.
LIBRARY CODE OF CONDUCT
The Library is a designated working and study area, therefore students are expected to work quietly at all times.
LIBRARY OPENING HOURS
Monday - 8am to 1.35pm and 2pm to 5pm. Closed for lunch between 1.35pm and 2pm.
Tuesday to Thursday - 8am to 5pm.
Friday - 8am to 1.35pm and 2pm to 4pm. Closed for lunch between 1.35pm and 2pm.
We are also open for some days during the school holidays, with opening days advertised in advance of the holidays.
The Careers Library is available during the normal Library opening hours. There is a wide range of material from general careers information to prospectuses for universities and colleges.
Cedars Library & Resources Centre – Easter Holiday Opening Times
The Library will be open on the following dates for quiet study for Year 11 and Sixth Formers –
Tuesday 8th, Thursday 10th & Friday 11th and Tuesday 15th, Wednesday 16th & Thursday 17th 9:30am – 3:00pm
There will be no lunch facilities on site.