Team Leader: Mrs S Agar
Team Leader e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Art department is staffed by one full-time and one part-time specialist art teachers, as well as two dedicated art technicians.
- GCSE – both Edexcel (unendorsed: General Art) and OCR (endorsed: Fine Art)
- AS and A2 – Edexcel (unendorsed: General Art).
Extra-curricular Activities include: Open workshops for students every lunch time in the art department and after school art club Monday, Tuesday and Thursday every week 3.15 - 4.15pm. For our Year 9 students, we offer an art club on Thursday lunchtimes. We are associated with Central Bedfordshire College Art programme called "The Saturday Club" and various competitions throughout the year, including the Royal Academy of Arts A-Level online summer exhibition. We offer a two-day Easter holiday coursework workshop.
We are a highly successful department reflected in the excellent exam results – 88% A*-C: GCSE 2011. We aim to provide:
- A safe and secure working environment
- Encourage students to develop practical and theoretical skills through direct, personal expression.
- To encourage imagination, sensitivity, conceptual thinking, powers of observation, analytical abilities and practical aptitudes.
- To widen students’ cultural horizons.
- To enrich the individual's personal resources.
- To engender the development of self-confidence.
- To enable the students’ enjoyment and aesthetic pleasure through their learning.
- Stimulating environment in which students can feel both valued and encouraged.
- Visits to exhibitions, galleries and sculpture parks.
- Prize for year 10 students, for best summer holiday homework.
- Sixth form students annually present their work to parent/carers and the wider community, through a public exhibition.
- Prizes awarded at the open exhibition evening, to highest achieving student in Years 12 and 13.
The external examiner has praised the work that pupils produce as “Lively…with a robust foundation in drawing skills and visual recording” and with “Imagination and enthusiasm”. Career paths include: architecture, design, photography, games designer, graphic design, make-up artist, stage set design, interior design and hairdresser/beauty consultant. Everything that we see has been created, designed, produced and crafted through the vision of artists, designers and crafts-people. After all, what is a world without art?